Jump to content

    Salford Red Devils

    Wigan leapfrogged Salford at the DW stadium , preventing the Devils from heading into fourth place in the Betfred Super League.

    A double from Marshall helped secure the win for the host team who ended the match with a 28 -12 win against the Red Devils.

    It would seem that Salford's confidence had crumbled a little after their previous impressive back to back wins over Castleford and Wakefield.

    Watto's men started off looking set to impress as they took the lead within the first few minutes with a penalty kick from Inu, but Hankinson pulled the tally back for the Warriors with a penalty of his own to draw them level pegging.

    They were soon out in front though as Leuluai worked with Hankinson to get a try from Winger Liam Marshall but Hankinson was unable to convert.

    Greenwood continued to pile on the pain for the Devils with another try but yet another failure to convert by Hardaker.

    Salford were given a lifeline after a collision between Hardaker and Marshall which saw the Salford in a scrum just 10 yards from the host teams try-line, Olpherts managed  to score in the corner but the conversion attempt went nowhere.

    At half time Salford were trailing behind 10-6 but Wigan had come into the second half fighting and within just 10 minutes of being back on the field they had scored twice, with an impressive shot through the gap from Jarrod Sammut, Hardaker chased it down and scored with Hankinson following up with the goal.

    The pain continued to be piled on for the reds with Wigan taking their fourth try of the night from Marshall and a follow up goal from Hankinson to put the home side up 22-6.

    The yellow cards came out from Ref Chris Kendall as Navarette and Dudson clashed on the ball... and just like that, both teams were down to 12 for the final 10 minutes of the match as both men sat it out in the Sin-bin.

    The Devils managed to pull back some points from a second try from Kris Welham and a conversion from Inu but it was not enough and to add to a painful night as Partington quickly chalked up another try for the Wigan tally and with a successful conversion from Hankinson the match ended on the final score of 28-12 for the Warriors with Adrian Lams side continue their rise up the Super League.

    Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Chris Hankinson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Thomas Leuluai, Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Romain Navarrete, Willie Isa, Joe Greenwood, Sean O’Loughlin.

    Interchanges: Morgan Smithies, Jarrod Sammut, Oliver Partington, Joe Bullock.

    Tries: Marshall (24,’ 50’), Greenwood (32’), Hardaker (41’), Partington (79’)

    Conversions: Hankinson (3/4), Hardaker (0/1)

    Penalties: Hankinson (1/1)

    Sin-bin: Navarrete (69’)

    Salford Red Devils: Niall Evalds, Jake Bibby, Krisnan Inu, Kristian Welham, Derrell Olpherts, Tu’Imoala Lolohea, Jackson Hastings, Petero Nakubuwai, Logan Tomkins, Gil Dudson, Joshua Jones, Ryan Lannon, Tyrone McCarthy.

    Interchanges: Greg Burke, Mark Flanagan, Joey Lussick, Ken Sio.

    Tries: Olpherts (39’), Welham (77’)

    Conversions: Inu (1/2)

    Penalties: Inu (1/1)

    Sin-bin: Gil Dudson (69’)

    Referee: Chris Kendall Touch Judges: Tom Grant & Clint Sharrad

    Attendance: 12,066

    highlights courtesy of Salford Red Devils TV on Youtube.

    Edited by KARL

  • Twitter Feed
  • Create New...