As was reported in our SalfordOnline Facebook group on Sunday, Fire crews were called to the Lancastrian Hall in Swinton after the fire alarm tripped and locals in the area reported a strong smell of smoke coming from the building.
Firefighters rushed to the vacant building but were unable to find the source and so after conducting extensive checks they left the building in the hands of the key holders and left the scene.
Meanwhile an area around the front footpath was cordoned off for health and safety reasons on Tuesday Morning after deteriorated masonry fell from the building onto the ground.
At the time it was suggested that the violent winds whipped up from Storm Ciara could have caused the damage but that has now been discounted by Councillor Derek Antrobus who said:
“We have noticed a deterioration in part of the building. This is not storm related.
"We have closed the footpath for safety reasons while this is inspected and addressed.”
The council worked quickly to secure the damage and the footpath was reopened the following day (Weds 12th Feb).
Photo: John Donohue