Jump to content
salford.media



GAS ALERTS PROMPT THREE EVACUATIONS BUT NO LEAKS WERE FOUND

Local News
Within the space of just 15 minutes there were three gas leak alerts triggered across Salford, sources withing the fire brigade say they suspect a cloud of gas made its way across the City.

If you were around Pendleton & Langworthy this afternoon you may have noticed the strong smell of Gas in the air.

At around 2:20pm this afternoon an alert was triggered in the area around Churchill Way in Pendleton, a local medical centre, job centre and a religious building were all evacuated as a precaution, no leak was found. 

Within 7 minutes, another alert was triggered at the Future Skills Centre on Dokota Avenue in South Langworthy.

Students were evacuated along with staff and workers in surrounding buildings but again the source of the apparent leak could not be located.

Extraordinarily, yet another alert was triggered at 2:34pm by residents in Strawberry Road in Pendleton, once more there was no trace of a leak to be found.

After extensive investigations the locations were given the all clear and reopened, with a source within the Fire Service saying that they suspect it was a gas cloud which had passed over parts of the City, the origin of which seems to still be a mystery.

Salford Council tweeted about the incident,

Quote

 

"Pendleton Gateway & buildings nearby were evacuated at approximately 3pm due to a suspected gas leak."

"Pendleton Gateway has been given the all clear for staff to return to the building.

"Services will be back up and running in the next few minutes."

 

If you smell gas in or around your home, do not hesitate to contact the National Gas Emergencies number immediately on 0800 111 999.

If you're at home, and you can do it safely, turn off your gas supply.

The gas mains tap should be beside your gas meter.

A natural gas leak in your home can potentially kill you.

That sulfuric, rotten egg odor that signals a natural gas leak isn't an ordinary component of the carbon-hydrogen compound.

Consequently, a natural gas leak can increase the risk of fire and explosion since it spreads quickly and combusts easily.

It is always best to be safe than sorry.




KARL



  Report Article

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.



Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • uk-european-elections-2019-poll.thumb.jpg.5ee6b10a9f17dfab7045bfaaef258171.jpg

    Days
    Hours
    Minutes
    Seconds



Do you have a news tip, firsthand account, information or photos about a news story to pass along to our editors? Contact us on 0161 820 2411 or mail us at admin@salford.media or use our contact form link below.

About Us

We are an independent, community led, not for profit, local news website ran by the people of Salford for the City of Salford









These materials may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission. ©2019 salford.media - All rights reserved unless otherwise stated.
×