Jump to content


History With Flynn

I am certain we have all witnessed shocking behaviour on our buses, trains and trams over the years, I can still recall the horror of the last bus out of Victoria bus station as a callow youth and have witnessed a hail of meat and potato pies being hurled in a scene reminiscent of Agincourt, yes the good old days.

So this story from August 1919 reminds us that loutish behaviour is not a modern day phenomenon as two drunken chaps bring a new meaning to, men behaving badly.

Amos Williams 28, who lived at Irlams Place, Salford appeared at Salford Magistrates Court charged with with being drunk and disorderly in Eccles New Road and assaulting a female tram conductress, Ethel Featherstone.

Inspector Mitchell  told the Court that Williams and his chum, Joseph Mullen boarded the tram at Eccles Cross and were going to Weaste to meet a female friend.

However this journey to meet the mystery woman was curtailed when Amos Williams loutish behaviour resulted in the police being called.

Whilst the conductress was collecting fares upstairs, he decided it would be fun to continually ring the bell much to the annoyance of the other passengers.

One one occasion he rang the bell so vigorously that driver slammed the brakes on thinking it was an emergency stop, much to Williams amusement.

An elderly chap, Edward Smith, had the temerity to tell Williams to behave and asked him what he thought he was playing at?

Williams responded by grabbing hold off his legs and dragging him to the floor of the tram, were he began kicking him.

Ethel Featherstone. came downstairs to see what all the commotion was about  and asked him what he was doing, his reply was to slap her across the face and then attempted to push her off the tram, which fortunately had stopped. 

I noticed the driver of the tram hasn't come racing to her rescue!

The police were called at Weaste and managed to drag the two drunken men off the tram and into police custody and reflect on their behaviour.

In his defence, Amos Williams told the Magistrate:

"I had drank a lot of beer that day"

Truthful but hardly the best defence he could have come up with is it?

He was fined £1 or 30 days imprisonment for being drunk and disorderly, also he was fined £3 and six shillings for assaulting Ethel Featherstone or 28 days imprisonment, with the fine being paid to her in costs.

P.C. Cormie took to the stand to testify against his co-accused, Joseph Mullen who was also charged with being drunk and disorderly.

He told the court that Mullen kept interfering with Williams arrest, using bad language and even going so far as to attempt to incite the tram passengers to help release Williams!

Williams was hardly popular with the tram passengers so I should imagine his pleas fell on deaf ears.

Mullen told the Magistrate:

"All I did was to walk to the police station and see how my pal was and if he needed any money, then I got arrested"

He was fined £1 or 14 days imprisonment.

So a warning for us all, don't balloon on public transport unless you want to spend the night in the cells and face a possible hefty fine..and I haven't mentioned a single person I know!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By Tony Flynn
      A rather sad and cautionary tale from the pages of the Salford City Reporter from October 1920 which gives an insight into the way that habitual drunkards were treated at the time and how times have changed.
      Violet Whittle a 40 year old woman of no fixed abode appeared at Salford Magistrates Court,  charged with being drunk and disorderly on Chapel Street, Salford the night before.
      It would appear that Violet was no stranger to the court and was "fond" of a drink as they say.
      Superintendent Clarke told the Magistrate that Violet was last before the court on September 16th (less than a month ago) and had been fined £1 for drunkenness and that within the last twelve months had been arrested for the same offence, seven times, giving her a total of 34 criminal convictions.
      The previous evening when arrested on Chapel Street she was abusive to the arresting officer, P,C, Nolan. and in the cells she behaved, "in a disgraceful way", then added.
      "If she cannot conduct herself properly when sober, I can imagine what she will be like in drink"
      The newspaper reported that Violet has, "stood erect and attentive" when the above was read out to the court, the suddenly burst into tears and shouted out,
      "I'm cast down!, I'm broken hearted, I only came out of prison yesterday, I don't have a dogs chance, the police are always locking me up"
      The Magistrates Clerk tried to reason with her and explained it was because she always went back on the drink.
      Poor Violet answered, "I would be better off dead, for I'm always in prison".
      Superintendent Clarke then told the court that Violet had been sent to the Langho Inebriates Reformatory in 1906, but had not seemed to have cured her..
      Langho Inebriates Reformatory opened in 1904 and housed some 300 women, was situated, seven miles from Blackburn, it later became a hospital for people with learning disabilities and closed in 1992, and have heard some terrible stories about the way the early patients were treated.
      Having heard all the evidence, the Magistrates, Alderman Mather and Mr F. P. Nathan in their wisdom saw fit to send Violet to prison for one month with hard labour added for good measure.
      How on earth is sending her to prison going to help this poor woman, who by her own admission stated she would be better off dead than in prison, she did need medical help and I'm certain the harsh regime in Strangeways prison didn't extend to this.
    • By KARL
      A wanted man was found and has been charged following a stabbing in Eccles at the start of October.
      Robert Wolfe (13/11/1988) has been charged with section 18 assault, attempted section 18 assault and possession of an offensive weapon.
      He has been remanded in custody and will appear before Manchester & Salford Magistrates' Court on Thursday 12 November 2020.
      At around 6.40pm on Thursday 1 October 2020, police were called to reports of a stabbing on Church Street.
      A 26-year-old man was taken to hospital with injuries which are sadly life changing and required multiple surgery procedures.
    • By Tony Flynn
      The Height and Bolton Road areas of Salford were subjected to a fortnight's rampage of burglary, arson and theft which only ended when two youths aged 15 and 16 appeared at Salford Magistrates Court in October 1920 and the full story unfolded.
      Mrs Lewthtwaite owned a supper bar on Broad Street, Salford and on the previous Thursday evening at 10pm, she was in the kitchen of her house, when she heard a loud bang and glass breaking, she saw Cecil Wilkinson drop into her yard.
      Her son ran out and apprehended him, only to be told that he was looking for his ball, he then saw another boy nearby, who ran away when approached, the police were sent for and Wilkinson was taken into custody for questioning.
      Wilkinson soon told the police the name of his accomplice,  Arthur Smith and he was soon arrested and brought into custody.
      Superintendent Clarke questioned the boys and they readily admitted that, they intended breaking into the barbers shop next door to the supper bar and were looking for money to steal.
      However once they started confessing they couldn't stop and told an astonished Superintendent Clarke a long list of their misdemeanours, they had carried out in the past fortnight.
      At the Magistrates Court he applied to have the boys remanded in custody for a week whilst further cases might be investigated, the remand was granted and both boys. despite their age where remanded to Strangeways prison.
      One week later the two boys, Cecil Wilkinson of, Saxby Street and Arthur Smith of Bolton Road, Pendleton stood in the dock and a remarkable catalogue of their crimes was read out.
      Breaking and entering, 34 Acresfield Road and stealing foodstuffs to the value of £1, 18 shillings and ninepence.
      Setting fire to The Olympia Picture Palace, West Street, stealing 10 shillings and a quantity of chocolate. damaging seventeen seats and a piano.
      Damaging and spoling five motor cars, a planing machine and a band saw at Messr Thomas Carters Motor Works, Trafford Road.
      Setting fire to St Thomas's School, Broughton Road, Salford.
      Breaking and entering Messr Lancaster and Tonge's offices, Withington Street, Salford stealing £3 19 shilling and 7 pence, and a box of cigarettes.
      Breaking and entering the schoolroom on King Street, the Height and stealing 11 pence.
      Breaking and entering into St Anne's School, Brindleheath, damaging six panes of glass, two pairs of curtains and lengths of woodwork.
      Breaking and entering Halton Bank School, Bolton Road damaging five electric globes, 38 pound of flour and a water pipe.
      The boys pleaded guilty to all these charges.
      Superintendent Clarke told the Court that there had been, "a fifteen day scare" as shops, homes, businesses  and schools were targeted, in addition over £1,000 worth of damage had been caused by arson and wilful damage.
      He asked the Magistrate Mr P. W. Atkin that the boys be sent to the Assizes for sentencing considering the severity of the offences and then dropped the bombshell that at the premises of  Messr Thomas Carters Motor Works, Trafford Road, the boys had hung, the workshop cat and killed it.
      The boys were defended by Mr Howard Flint, who asked the Magistrate if the boys could not be dealt with on this day by the court, adding that they were both from respectable families and had been influenced by reading "trashy cheap, literature"
      The Magistrate turned down his plea for a trial at the Magistrate Court and added that there was no reason why they should be cruel to a cat.
      The boys were sent to the Asizes for trial and here is the cliff hanger, I have no idea how they went on there, considering the amount of damage and mayhem they caused I am certain they would be sent to prison and it would that their act of cruelty to a cat ensured they would face the wrath of an Assize Judge.
  • Latest Jobs In Salford

    Company: Bss
    Type: Full Time

    Company: Cityskills
    Type: Part Time

    Company: Cityskills
    Type: Full Time

    Company: Stax
    Type: Temporary

    Company: Itv
    Type: Full Time